How To Improve At Both Reading and Writing Code: Write More Code

How To Improve At Both Reading and Writing Code: Write More Code

N.b. this is targeted at someone at my stage of their career; it might not be applicable to everyone.

How to learn coding best:

How to learn coding better. You learn more by writing it. At this stage, at my stage, you learn more by writing it; you learn more by writing code. 

The biggest way to improve at reading code

The biggest way to improve at reading code, at this stage, is actually by writing it. Of course, writing code will help to write it too; but it's also just the best way to improve at reading it too.

In the future

In the future, once I know more coding, then I will also get more out of just reading code then I currently do right now. 

So right now the best way for me to improve at both reading and writing code is by writing more code.

But, once I improve, then I will get more and more out of reading code as well. Does that make sense? So while it might seem like reading more code will help me to write better code right now and to help me to read code better too - it's actually the OPPOSITE. 

It's writing code that will help me the most right now. Both in writing and reading. And in the future as I get better too then reading more code is going to help me too - both in terms of reading and of writing code.

Why will writing more code help me to improve at both reading code and at writing code as well...

Why. 

Why, why, why.

So why is this? Well, the reason for this is because: as I write more code, I will understand the process that resulted in the code. 

I repeat: as I write more code, I will understand the process that resulted in that code. 

And then as I read other people's code I will start to get to see things and think:

"I would've done that... it makes sense." 

"I've seen different..."

And so if you've seen different, then maybe you could suggest it in the code review... when you are doing a code review...

And so the outcome of this is, then:

That you will always either learn something or teach something. WOW!!!

So you will either learn something every time you do a code review, or teach something.

So every time you do a code review:

  • You will either learn something new, because someone has done something in a way that is more effective or cooler than you knew or were aware of and so you can learn something new from them.
  • Or you will teach someone something new by making a suggestion in the comments - "Hey have you seen it done like this before? Have you ever thought about doing it like this before? Have you thought about doing this before?"
Psychedelic pictures of sunflowers in unusual colours. Text reads: How to get better at both reading and writing code. Write more code.
Just write more code.




Comments

Popular Posts