How To Come Prepared To A Mentoring/Debugging Session

How To Come Prepared To A Mentoring/Debugging Session

I have been unbelievably fortunate with my colleagues. I cannot believe I am getting to work with who I get to work with. 

Their kindness, brilliance, technical ability and generosity outshines absolutely everything.

I am so grateful for everything. And I love them so, so much.

n.b. This is less of a structured blog post than I normally do on this blog - it is more exploring what is to come then something I have established. I hope this is okay please - but I am open to feedback as always - thank you.

p.s. I do have some further thoughts on how to come to a debugging session but the idea here is for something that is structured and pre-planned - thank you!!! 🏞

Structuring the Mentoring Sessions

I have worked with a lot of mentors and know about the value and importance of structuring time.

Nevertheless, working with a new mentor always brings with it many challenges, and definitely takes some time to re-evaluate.

I am working slightly towards a new way of working, which I might discuss in some detail in my other blog today - but I wanted to touch on a specific topic - coming prepared to a mentoring session.

Of course, this is specific to a mentor

But I loved the suggestion of my new mentor so, so much, that I wanted to consolidate it into a blog post for myself - and to put it into words for anyone else who want to or might be able to use this as well. But really for myself I just wanted to consolidate the idea - as I benefit from clear instructions.

The method

Okay so the method is this:
  • Before a session, prepare something to present 
  • For example, and in my case, because both my mentor and I love Excalidraw - prepare an excalidraw diagram
  • What do I think the problem is?
  • What am I stuck on?
  • What is the problem space around it?
  • What do I think that it is?
  • What do I think that we need to do from here?

The method, but not convoluted

Okay let me try to be concise once again - I am sorry
  • Before each mentoring session, prepare a short thing to present
  • In the case of myself and my mentor, this might be an Excalidraw diagram
  • Prepare for myself,
    • and present in it,
      • What do I think the problem is?
      • What am I stuck on?
      • What do I think that the solution might be?
Okay, so this was still a bit convoluted. But I think that this is better. And at least I have consolidated for myself now - thank you.


Pictures of crepe paper on a coloured background. Text in front. Text reads: A way to prepare for mentoring/debugging sessions. Prepare something to present at the beginning For example, an Excalidraw diagram Define what the problem space is, what you are stuck on, and what you think the solution is
I can't wait to try this out!

P.S.

P.S. Having chatted to my mentor - there is a P.S. - and I would like to add it please:

First - a note - I will write a full blog post on this later - but this is just an initial little write-up of some thoughts:
  • In general, in with teams, if everything is laid out in a diagram when you are working in them, then you can get aligned and make sure that everyone is on the same page.
  • It quickly brings everybody up to speed and makes sure they are all aligned and on the same page.
  • It avoids the confusion that comes with trying to express complex problems and ideas verbally which may be difficult to express or understand (more on that next time though I hope!!!).
  • It makes it much easier and clearer to understand when you can see it drawn out clearly.

Comments

Popular Posts